While there is still a lack of proven scientific research, various proponents of alkaline water claim to believe in the following benefits of alkaline water:
- Alkaline water has ultra-hydrating properties as compared to normal water. This can be a beneficial drink for people who work out on a daily basis and require more amount of water in their body. Scientifically speaking, the water molecules in alkaline water are smaller and more readily absorbed by your cells, which help your body re-hydrate quickly.
- Alkaline water benefits also include boosting immunity. Your immune system may help neutralise the acidity in your body, which is caused by poor diet, stress and environmental toxins.
- Alkaline water is said to have various essential minerals like magnesium and calcium, both of which are important for maintaining healthy bones.
- Alkaline water has many potent antioxidants that help prevent the growth of cell damaging free radicals in the body, which can further rush up the ageing process.
- One of the most important benefits of alkaline water is that it neutralizes the acidity in our body by lowering excessive acidic content in the stomach and gastro-intestinal tract.
Because alkaline water has a higher pH level than does plain tap water, proponents say that it can neutralize acid in your bloodstream.
Some say that alkaline water can help prevent disease, such as cancer and heart disease. Some studies also suggest that alkaline water might help slow bone loss, but further investigation is needed to determine if this influences overall bone mineral density and if the benefit is maintained over the long term.